Wednesday, June 28, 2017

What a race! Cosmic Baku in action 🎒🍾🏁


I've been thinking quite a lot before publishing this particular blogpost and here are a few reasons why. First of all I used to consider myself as a Mercedes fan. At least in previous posts. But I was so freaking happy to see that same podium on Sunday - so shame on me. Secondly I changed my mind in several ways during that Baku weekend starting from what I think about the "race" in general and finishing with picking my "to go" pilot for future. Aaaaand thirdly, yes, too much happened that weekend. So let me be sequential.

1. Podium

Hello, you, Formula 1 fans, have you been expecting that same podium before the race? Of course you have not. Honestly that has been surprising especially taking into consideration the fact that ABSOLUTELY UNEXPECTED stuff happened to both championship leaders Seb and Lewis. Probably we all have been waiting the battle of those two (which we ACTUALLY saw) maybe pushed by Red Bulls. 

Speaking about Red Bulls personally I expected them to BE in front especially after FP results on Friday but Max was mine "to go", definitely it wasn't Daniel who I expected to win so far.

2. Losers, winners and "underdogs"

That race in Baku actually divided the whole grid into three: losers, winners and "underdogs". Let me explain. It is obvious that F1 world was waiting for Ferrari and Mercedes to fight for the podium before all that crazy stuff happened. If not Seb versus Lewis, then there were options with Kimi and Valterri in action. 

The most unexpected thing in my opinion was Lewis extra pit-stop with team not fixing his headrest and Seb behaving just INADEQUATE clashing into Lewis twice (firstly accidentally and then definitely on purpose) and getting his 10 seconds stop and go punishment. Those I should call "losers" in this race. Unfortunately there were a few more of "losers" here in Baku: Max and his engine problems, Daniil and Jolyon with their early retirements, Felipe with mechanical issues, Kimi and Checo with unfortunate collisions. Did I forget anyone?

By winners here I want to mention those who unexpectedly brought some points to their teams. And the greatest of them was definitely Lance. We can only imagine how much did it mean for him to stand on the podium after a thought start of the season and all the criticism he got. I love saying this but yes I am happy for him gaining some real confidence. Except the podium rookie I should call "winners" those guys Kevin and Pascal finishing in top-10 and bringing points to their teams.

And the last but not the least are those who I personally called "underdogs". OK, they were not real underdogs from the very beginning. But who expected Daniel to win from 10th on the grid and 17th after early pit-stop and Valterri to finish the second after the crush with Kimi and being one lap down? I just wouldn't believe if you said you were.

3. Hamilton versus Vettel

Here we go. This topic has touched nearly everyone. Even those who were not that much into Formula 1 yet. The incident itself was quite normal (if we talking about race, men, speed, emotions). Don't get me wrong but that what could happened with EVERY pilot.

Yes, Lewis probably braked too quick so Seb clashed into him. Was that an accident? I suppose YES. What happened next? Seb went too emotional and hit Lewis. Did he do this on purpose? I am sure that YES. Was that all just emotions? Absolutely YES. He got his penalty and lost the leadership in the race, potential podium, some points. Was the penalty enough? I have no idea, it's all up to jury. Should he said he was at least sorry for unnecessary action? I suppose YES. But he didn't. Why? We'd better ask him. 

From aside it all looked like a completely stupid mistake which Seb did following his emotions and payed for it. Too much or not enough? I think there's no unbiased answer. We'd all love to hear his apologies but probably we won't. 

4. Team tactics

A few races ago (after Monaco) motorsport world was all about that incident happened in Ferrari. We all talked about if there was a team strategy or if there wasn't, if it was needed or if not. But after Azerbaijan I marked one team who definitely needs this "team strategy" thing. Hello, Force India, I'm talking about you.

Do you remember those things happened two weeks ago in Canada? When Esteban asked team to put him in front of Checo to try to overtake Dan and reach the podium. Do you remember what happened next? Checo asked team to let them "race" and Seb overtook them both. Boom! 

Here we are in Baku. What happened to Force Indias here? Yes, they collided. Why? I suppose that Esteban remembering the situation in Montreal (and their sincere talk with Checo after, of course) decided not to wait for team permission and just pushed. Fortunately he survived the race and Checo left. All I can say: KARMA. 

Overall it makes me think of the fact that this team needs to do something. I don't necessarily talk of picking "first" and "second" pilot but the fact that they need strategy considering the pace of each pilot, their tires condition and also opponents in front and behind is obvious. Just because we don't want to see both really good drivers crushing into their teammates every single time and ending the race when they decide to fight with other team for points, podium, whatever. 

5. Epic race

Yes, that was absolutely an epic race. Can you still remember how many crushes, overtakes, yellow flags, safety cars were there? I cannot. The only thing that really matters that all of this gave so much emotions to every person who had seen this. I hope this race not only gave you something to think about but also inspired you to love this sport a lot more.

The fact that it all just couldn't be planned makes me think that this race is the one you should rewatch when you want to see something worthy. Here you could see nearly everything even the "photo finish" from amazing Valterri which made me soooo happy. Famous "shoey" from Australian boy (poor Lance drinking from Daniel's shoe on his very first podium ever). Happiness, frustration, anger, hesitation, luck - EVERYTHING.

To sum it up I want to say that Baku race was so far the best I saw (I haven't seen so many - so even more lucky I am) and it gave me not only chills but the decision who I want to root for after Lewis retirement. And here I picked Esteban Ocon, just because he IS a really good driver. 

No comments:

Post a Comment